Re: FOS Newsletter Excerpts

From: Michael Kay <kaym_at_OSI.HU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:11:16 +0200

It is a shame that you should write this in such a cynical tone. Yes the
publishers do stand to gain in the long term, but at last they are willing
to "sacrifice" something at least . I have been working with them for some
time on exactly these sorts of projects and they do realise that unless they
do something to "look better" that their battle will be even harder.
Naturally they are more than concerned about the current debate and their
futures. But at the end of the day, they are now coughing with excellent
deals for countries that our network serves - the financially disadvantaged.
And just for the record not all publishers are inherently evil people -
believe it or not.

Michael Kay
Director eIFL (Soros Foundation Network)
http://www.eifl.net