Re: Update on Public Library of Science Initiative

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:16:39 +0100

Two other current initiatives are relevant here. ICAAP is a mutual
slf-help organisation for newly established free e-journals (mostly in the
humanities). SPARC is a library-centred initiative to support the setting
up of lower-cost alternatives to overpriced journals. Have the PLoS
initiators tried to establish diplomatic relations with these other
organisations? SPARC journals aren't free, but might be willing to be
PLoS-compliant.

Fytton Rowland.

At 02:04 PM 9/2/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Stevan Harnad wrote:
>>On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Peter Suber wrote:
>>
>> > The number of PLoS-compliant journals is about six. The exact number
>> > depends on how strictly one interprets compliance, but no matter how
>> > one interprets it, the number is small. Hence it appears that one PLoS
>> > strategy for moving forward will be to encourage the development of new
>> > (free online) journals.

.....[lots omitted]

>>So, while we wait, wondering, may I suggest that we use the time to
>>self-archive our research?
>>
>> Harnad, S. (2001) For Whom the Gate Tolls? How and Why to Free the
>> Refereed Research Literature Online Through Author/Institution
>> Self-Archiving, Now.
>> http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm
>
> Stevan is right that we needn't wait for self-archiving, which is one
>of its most conspicuous advantages. Launching new (free, online) journals
>will definitely help the cause, but it will take time and self-archiving is
>available immediately. I didn't mean to suggest that we should launch new
>journals to the exclusion of self-archiving; both are desirable, and as
>strategies they complement one another.
>
> Peter
>
>----------
>Peter Suber, Professor of Philosophy
>Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana, 47374
>Email peters_at_earlham.edu
>Web http://www.earlham.edu/~peters
>
>Editor, The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter
>http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/

Fytton Rowland, M.A., Ph.D., F.I.Inf.Sc., Lecturer,
Deputy Director of Undergraduate Programmes and
Programme Tutor for Publishing with English,
Department of Information Science,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough, Leics LE11 3TU, UK.

Phone +44 (0) 1509 223039 Fax +44 (0) 1509 223053
E-mail: J.F.Rowland_at_lboro.ac.uk
http://info.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/staff/frowland.html