Re: Update on Public Library of Science Initiative

From: Jim Till <till_at_UHNRES.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:17:41 -0400

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Peter Suber wrote [in part]:

[ps]> ICAAP can provide
[ps]> technology and support for new free online journals. It can work
[ps]> with PLoS to extend its initiative to the humanities and social
[ps}> sciences.

It seems to me that a major long-term advantage of PLoS is that the
initiative could be extended to the humanities and social sciences.

BioMed Central already offers a set of freely-accessible online
journals, and is inviting signers of the PLoS open letter to submit
research papers (see below). However, unless BioMed Central is not
only very successful, but also changes its name, it's unlikely to be
extended to the humanities and social sciences in the near future.

The following currently appears on the home page of the BioMed Central
website (at http://www.biomedcentral.com/):

[BMC]> Public Library of Science Deadline:
[BMC]> We wish to inform those who signed the open letter of the
[BMC]> Public Library of Science advocacy group, which called for
[BMC]> publishers to make research papers freely available, that
[BMC]> BioMed Central complies with all the requirements listed
[BMC]> in the letter. We invite all signatories to publish their
[BMC]> research in our journals.

Jim Till
University of Toronto