Re: Interview with Elsevier Science

From: Jeffery, KG (Keith) <"Jeffery,>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:52:02 -0000

Richard -

thanks for the opportunity to comment via the September98 Forum list....

My department's responsibility includes the library so we have thought about
it from both librarian and IT angles. I note also the comments from others
to date.

Our main qustions would concern:
(1) Business model Elsevier see in the future as web-publishing of eprints
increases
(2) how will they (and other conventional publishers) continue to claim
peer-review monopoly
(3) how much will they comply with standards such as OAI especially for
metadata
(4) what is their stance concerning SPARC
(5) will they move to leaving copyright with the author and having a licence
to publish
(6) in e-publishing do they favour PDF (frozen image) or dynamic SGML, XML
or HTML
(7) do they have interest in dvelopment from dictionaries and thesauri to
domain ontologies to assist clssification and retrieval

I hope that's enough to be going on with!

Prof Keith G Jeffery Director Information Technology and Head Business &
Information Technology Department
kgj_at_rl.ac.uk CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
T:+44 1235 44 6103 Chilton, Didcot, OXON OX11 0QX UK
F:+44 1235 44 5831
WWW Person: http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk/Person/K.G.Jeffery
Department: http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk
VP VLDB Endowment Board: http://www.vldb.org/
CLRC ERCIM Representative: http://www.ercim.org/
W3C Office at CLRC-RAL http://www.w3.org/
The contents of this email are sent in confidence for the use of the
intended recipients only. If you are not one of the intended recipients do
not take action on it or show it to anyone else, but return this email to
the sender and delete your copy of it