Re: Sustaining ePrints

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang_at_inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:29:09 +0100

How does one know how long software development will last ?

In the case of commercial software ... as long as the company (and that
is not too predictable these days) or as long as a given company thinks
it is worthwhile and not hampering another more profitable market (not
very predictable either).

In the case of free software (free as in freedom), it usually lasts as
long as it is sufficiently useful to a community of users so that they
will find ways of investing a little bit in it.

How do you think Linux has picked up 27% of the server market?
Why do you think Linux is getting a major position in embedded systems
market, and especially in applications where longevity is critical?

There is a lot of literature on that issue ... all over the net.

Cordialement

Bernard

--
Bernard.Lang_at_inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 1 3963 5644
                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX