Testing the citation-ranking search engine: Citebase

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:13:49 +0100 (BST)

Dear Colleagues,

One way to help hasten the filling of open-access archives is to offer
services that demonstrate to authors and their institutions the increased
visibility and impact that self-archiving their published articles
brings them, over and above journal publication itself.

There has already been mention in the American Scientist Forum from
time to time of Citebase, a citation-ranked search service developed at
Southampton, covering some of the largest OAI archives (mainly
physics). Citebase is not yet widely known because we wanted to avoid
publicizing the service widely during its development while we were
still fixing bugs.

We will soon begin raising awareness of Citebase in the wider academic
community, but first we are anxious to ensure that it will be useful
and usable. So I am hereby inviting those of you with the interest
and time to test Citebase now and give us feedback on it. A Web form
takes you through a short exercise highlighting its principal features at:

        http://citebase.eprints.org/survey/

The subject matter is still mainly physics, but the general utility of
citation-ranked navigation will be, we hope, transparent.

(Citebase is produced as part of the Open Citation project, funded by the
Joint NSF - JISC International Digital Libraries Research Programme.)
    http://www.dli2.nsf.gov/
    http://www.jisc.ac.uk/
    http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2002/nsf02085/nsf02085.html

Many thanks,

Stevan Harnad
Principal Investigator

Garfield, E., (1955) Citation Indexes for Science: A New Dimension in
Documentation through Association of Ideas. Science 122: 108-111
http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/science_v122(3159)p108y1955.html

Harnad, S. (2001) Research Access, Impact and Assessment.
Times Higher Education Supplement 1487: p. 16.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/thes1.html

Harnad, S. & Carr, L. (2000) Integrating, Navigating and Analyzing
Eprint Archives Through Open Citation Linking (the OpCit Project).
Current Science 79(5): 629-638.
http://cogprints.soton.ac.uk/documents/disk0/00/00/16/97/index.html

Lawrence, S. (2001a) Online or Invisible? Nature 411 (6837): 521.
http://www.neci.nec.com/~lawrence/papers/online-nature01/

Lawrence, S. (2001b) Free online availability substantially increases a
paper's impact. Nature Web Debates.
http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/Articles/lawrence.html

Odlyzko, A.M. (2002) The rapid evolution of scholarly communication.
Learned Publishing 15: 7-19
http://rosina.catchword.com/vl=11319436/cl=24/fm=docpdf/nw=1/rpsv/catchword/alpsp/09531513/v15n1/s2/p7
http://www.si.umich.edu/PEAK-2000/odlyzko.pdf