Re: Journal expenses and publication costs

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:55:13 -0800

I've heard this objection frequently. I agree that there are many fields
where page charges are completely anathema, and I assume experimental
psychology is one of them. However, it is important to remember that this
animosity developed because journals were frequently asking for page charges
in addition to subscription fees. In my experience, most scientists, even
those who have been violently opposed to the idea of publication charges,
are willing to give them a chance once they realize that this is the only
time anyone will ever have to pay for the article.

For fields where the culture is really set against publication charges, one
model that might work would be for some interested organization to subsidize
the charges during a transition period, while scientists in the field are
convinced that an upfront business model is consistent with a high-quality,
high-standards publication. Once this is established, I doubt that the
objections would remain.

Michael Eisen, Ph.D. (mbeisen_at_lbl.gov)

Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and
University of California at Berkeley
http://rana.lbl.gov

--Support Unrestricted Access to Scientific Publications--
--Visit http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org