Re: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:02:47 +0000

Whether the cost is $500 per published paper or $1500 per published paper,
there are some real costs in running a peer review and document archiving
system - computer hardware an software and administrative staff time, at the
very least. A review study that I undertook last year suggests that the true
figure is closer to the $500 than the $1500, assuming a rejection rate of 50%.
If rejection rates are very high, as in Manfredi la Manna's example, then the
cost per *published* paper is higher. However, one has to ask whether, in a
paperless sytem, rejection rates need to be so high!

Under OAI, the cost of the archiving is borne by the author's institution.
Removing journal subscription charges removes financial obstacles to access by
*readers*. Access by authors is a different matter - the costs of peer review,
however high or low, have to be borne somehow. If an author wants to publish
in a prestigious journal, and journals have gone over to the "author-pays"
system in ordr to provide free reader access, then the author needs to find a
source of funds from somewhere.

Suggesting that the author-pays system is "no better" than the old subscription-
based system is unnecessarily negative. It *is* better because (a) the overall
cost to the academic world is lower; (b) scholars in poor countries/poor
institutions can read everything; (c) scholars' work can be made available on
OAI-compliant servers. If, however, an author wants the prestige of having
their work associated with a high-quality source, then the costs of the quality-
control system have to be paid. So far as poor countries are concerned, maybe
the international scientific and scholarly associaitions are best placesd to
organise the necessary cross-subsidies?

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK.