Re: Nature's vs. Science's Embargo Policy

From: Tim Brody <tdb01r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:37:06 -0000

There are two sides to the first world/developing world research divide:
access to the First world by the Developing world (FD), and access to the
Developing world by the First world (DF).

An APC model solves the FD problem - as an author is paying the publisher to
provide maximum dissemination through free-access, therefore (assuming the
reader has access to the Web!) any researcher can access the paper
regardless of their financial situation.

The DF problem is more to do with journal-impact & language barriers rather
than the economics of the situation. In theory developing-world
researchers - given the current system - are on an equal footing with any
other world researcher. Arthur Smith (hope I'm not quoting out of context)
has said in this list that the first world is currently subsidising the
developing, as it is paying the vast majority of the costs (through
subscriptions etc.), while the developing world pays very little of this but
has the same potential to be published in the high-impact journals.

No sustainable economic model can allow the developing world to have both
free access AND be able to publish in those first-world, high-impact
journals for free - not without being subsidised by the first world.

That said, free (open) access *will* allow developing-world journals to play
on a level playing field with the first. Once the literature is free-access,
aggregating services can index both first-world and developing-world
journals - and provide impact factors for both.

All the best,
Tim Brody