The Special Case of Law Reviews

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:50:37 +0000

Peter Suber has forwarded this very interesting letter from Professor Dan
Hunter, assistant professor of legal studies at the University of Pennsylvania's
Wharton School to the student-editor of the California Law Review
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/journals/clr/

The letter is of interest for several semi-independent reasons:

(1) Law Reviews are a very unusual special case among research journals.
They are edited by law students! It is hard to know whether this means
that they can be classified among peer-reviewed journals. Law students
are clearly not their professors' peers. (And it seems paradoxical that
on tuesdays and thursdays the professors may be evaluating the students'
papers, and on wednesdays and fridays the students may be evaluating the
professors' papers!) Students may (or may not) be sending the papers to
qualified expert referees, and they may or may not be weighing and using
the referee reports the way a qualified expert editor would, but it does
make you wonder!

(2) Like all journals, however, the Law Reviews, and especially the
most prestigious ones among them, exert a good deal of influence:
Appearing in -- or failing to appear in -- them can have significant
effects on authors' careers -- just as serving on or not serving
on them can have a significant effect on students' careers. This is
evident in the cautious and deferential way Professor Hunter is writing
to the student-editor to indicate his objections and his intention to
stop submitting articles to the California Law Review until it changes
its policy.

(3) Although we have been hearing a good deal lately about universities
(e.g., University of California) threatening to cancel Elsevier journals
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0933.html
because their subscription tolls are too high; and although there was
a very big petition a few years ago, with over 30,000 signatories
http://www.plos.org/support/openletter.shtml
threatening to boycott biomedical publishers unless they became open
access ("gold") publishers, this particular letter is merely asking the
California Law Review to become "green," which is to formally support
author self-archiving, as 55% of journals surveyed by Romeo already do
(and many of the rermaining 45% "white" will agree to do if asked):
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/Romeo%20Publisher%20Policies.htm

(4) Becoming "gold" entails making substantial sacrifices and taking
substantial risks at this time. No one should be surprised that the
23,400 out of 24,000 research journals do not elect to become "gold"
at this time. (There are have been 600 gold journals since 1990.)
Becoming "green" (self-archiving-friendly), on the other hand, allows
a publisher to show its support for open access, and for its benefits to
research and researchers, without having to make any sacrifice and with
very little risk. (Most physics journals are green and in several areas
of physics nearly 100% of articles are self-archived and hence open
access for over 12 years now, yet the physics journals have felt no
revenue losses (and one prominent born-gold journal, JHEP, even made a
successful transition backwards to green last year, despite all of
its articles being, and continuing to be, self-archived and hence open
access.)

(5) It would be extremely odd, then, if -- in
there, along with the New England Journal of Medicine
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1332.html
and most of the American Chemical Society Journals
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0619.html (the journals
that will surely be the last of the whites to turn green!)
-- should be the student-run Law Reviews! What this shows is that having
a "white" vs. a "green" policy has little to do with whether a journal
publisher is non-profit or commercial (the 1500+ Elsevier journals are
"blue" -- supporting preprint self-archiving, but probably also "green,"
because what they mean by the "preprint" is the author's version of the
peer-reviewed final draft, i.e, the "postprint," and the only one they
don't allow to self-archive is the publisher's own PDF).
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2104.html

(6) I suspect, though, that the California Law Review may be in a minority
among Law reviews in this regard, as Bernard Hibbitt's influential
article in 1996 went a long way toward encouraging a "green" policy
among Law Reviews.

    Hibbitts, B. J. (1996) Last Writes? Re-Assessing the Law Review
    in the Age of Cyberspace. New York University Law Review 615
    http://www.law.pitt.edu/hibbitts/lastrev.htm

Stevan Harnad