Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:07:39 -0500

I believe Stevan has said most of what is needed to answer your message.

For my part, I will focus on OA journals and would like to underscore the fact
that this particular way to move to open access will require some
concertation among a variety of ploayers. It is not simply a matter of an
author dealing with the business plan of an OA journal; libraries are saing
money with OA journals and could perhaps be persuaded to put back some of
those savings in the publishing circuit by contributing to institutional
access deals with such publications. Alternatively, universities as a whole
or research centres could explore doing the same. Finally, agencies that
allocate research grants can certainly build policies favouring the support
of publishing costs, especially in the case of OA journals. This is a trend
which seems to be growing at this point in history: the Hughes Foundation,
the Wellcome Trust and the Max Planck Gesellschaft, among others, have moved
ahead on this front.

In short, the situation where a lonely author is left with no alternative but
to shell out several hundred dollars or even 1500 dollars in the case of PLoS
is not supposed to be the typical or even minority case. Most people I talk
to envision this case as a rare one that ultimtely ought to disappear. And,
indeed, a variety of mechanisms and institutions are moving to provide funds
for the support of these new publishing models. One can expect to see this
movement accelerate everywhere in the next couple of years

Best wishes,

Jean-Claude Guédon

--
Jean-Claude Guédon