Re: Author Publication Charge Debate

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_UTSC.UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:07:52 -0500

Dear Jean-Claude,

I do not disagree with the trend you are describing but I think it is a
trend specific to the rich countries such as the UK, Germany and the US. And
so the author pay or input pay model of OA may lead to the possibility of
furthering the gap for contributions from authors from poorer regions, where
research infrastructure and funding are lacking, and where the "lonely
author" you describe is far from rare. This, I think is the point made by
Suhail Rahman.

As I know you are a long time champion of open source, open knowledge and
open access to science for all, and indeed you were among the first to raise
alarm about leaving developing countries further behind, I wonder if you
would help us think specifically about the impact of the input pay model for
developing countries. You also mentioned that "a variety of mechanisms and
institutions are moving to provide funds for the support of these new
publishing models". To what extend are these models taking the need of the
developing countries into account?

Fee wavier by OA journals for authors who can't afford to pay is a very
short term solution and it doesn't address the root problem of why authors
can't afford to pay in the first place. Our view is that if we wish to have
a truly inclusive knowledge commons, we need to enable institutions to build
research infrastructure and promote local publications. There are many
quality publications from various developing countries and strengthening
local scientific publications and finding means to convert these journals
into open access journals is one of the best means to encourage local
scientific development as well as increasing international visibility and
subsequent research impact.

Most journals published in developing countries are heavily subsidized by
private foundations, aid agencies, and international bodies but most of
these agencies do not understand the power and benefits of open access. So
they insist on journals being self-sufficient through subscription. This has
led to repeated failures and short-lived journals. Instead, we would like
to reshape thinking about the support for scientific publishing from a
³subsidize until commercially viable² concept to one in which the support is
seen as an ongoing contribution to the sustainability of science and
society. In other words, rather than sustaining print journals that will
most likely never have an audience outside their home country or regions, we
recommend using the same money to bring the journal to a global audience
through open access, thereby enlarging the readership base and potential
contributors. This could be easily accomplish these days using the free
eprints software or other open source software as described in the Open
Society guide, or working collaboratively with other organizations who could
assist with technical online publishing know-how.

Finally, and somewhat unrelated to the above, if libraries are saving money
with OA journals, would they not better serve their institutions by
investing the savings into supporting institutional repositories rather than
sinking them into more "institutional access deals"?

Best wishes
Leslie Chan

on 2/6/04 1:07 PM, Jean-Claude Guédon at jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA