Re: Evolving Publisher Copyright Policies On Self-Archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:15:54 +0000

This posting is re-directed from the thread:

    "Re: Open Access and ISI-indexed journals and articles"
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4106.html

Pertinent Prior Amsci Topic Threads:

    "Evolving Publisher Copyright Policies On Self-Archiving" (2002)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2350.html

    "Legal ways around copyright for one's own giveaway texts" (2000)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0541.html

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> (4a) If the journal is gray (8%), self-archive preprint + corrigenda
> and inform the journal.
>
> (4b) If the journal responds to (4a) with an objection, negotiate or remove.
>
> (Peter [Suber], if my memory does not fail me, you too have recommended
> something along the lines of 4a/4b: Is there a URL?)

Peter Suber has since replied that he recalls blogging something to that
effect in Open Access News (but cannot retrieve the URL) and Alma Swan
has written that she remembers a similar proposal in a Dutch institutional
self-archiving initiative (but she likewise cannot retrieve the URL) (SURF/DARE?).

I have now located the proposed procedure described in a recommendation
in a report co-authored by Alma:

        Delivery, Management and Access Model
        for E-prints and Open Access Journals
        within Further and Higher Education

    Study commission by U.K. Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC)
    Alma Swan, Paul Needham, Steve Probets, Adrienne Muir, Ann O'Brien,
    Charles Oppenheim, Rachel Hardy, and Fytton Rowland (2004).
http://www.keyperspectives.co.uk/OpenAccessArchive/E-prints_delivery_model.pdf

Excerpt:

    3. Develop a programme to persuade researchers to self-archive their work
    in e-print archives...
    Incentives would include provision of:
    - The latest figures on the increased impact that open access articles enjoy
    - The latest information from SHERPA/RoMEO on publisher self-archiving
    policies, so that authors can easily check whether the journal they are
    submitting work to permits self-archiving
    - A form-based author request to any non-green publisher (one that does
    not explicitly permit self-archiving) asking permission to self-archive a
    specified article, with wording to the effect "if refusal is not received
    within 30 days, then it is assumed that permission has been granted"

Stevan Harnad