Re: Guide for the Perplexed: Re: UK Select Committee Inquiry

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:38:12 +0000

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Julian Newman wrote:

> V useful stuff! But here's a thought: OK, 92% of *Journals* have given
> green light to self-archiving - but what about *conferences* and
> *workshops*? Given the propensity of many in Computing to regard
> refereed conferences as their main publication medium, it seems even
> more important that conference papers should be covered by the
> self-archiving policy.
>
> It would be a mammoth task to cover every possible conference, but given
> that a very high proportion of Computing conference proceedings are
> published by ACM / Elsevier / IEEE / Kluwer-Springer, it might be
> possible to get statements of policy wrt conference/workshop papers from
> those four.

Peer-reviewed conference proceedings (and even unrefereed ones) are of course
naturals for Open Access (OA) (and some already are OA). Computer scientists are
especially good about self-archiving their papers (which are mostly conference
papers), but usually just on their own websites, not in OAI-compliant archives.
http://www.openarchives.org/Register/BrowseSites

This is remedied in part by Citeseer http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/cs which
harvests all those computer science papers self-archived on arbitrary
websites and makes them jointly searchable. With over 750,000 papers,
Citeseer is in fact the second-biggest ("virtual") OA Archive in the world.

RepEc http://repec.org/ a harvested and federated virtual archive of
economics papers is the biggest of all, with 140,000 pre-refereeing
preprints and 144,000 refereed postprints. The biggest non-virtual
central archive is, I believe, the Physics ArXiv http://arxiv.org
with over 300,000 papers.

But I think the OA way of the future is neither central harvesting of
of papers self-archived on arbitrary websites, nor self-archiving
in OAI central OAI Archives, but self-archiving in distributed
institutional OAI Archives http://archives.eprints.org/eprints.php?action=browse
which are then harvested by OAI harvesters like OAIster
http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/o/oaister/ and Citebase
http://citebase.eprints.org/

What all of these are in turn waiting for is the implementation of the
mandatory self-archiving policies that have lately been recommended in
the UK, US and elsewhere:

    http://software.eprints.org/handbook/departments.php
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php

The Romeo listing of green publishers and journals does include
some conference proceedings too, but not many.

    http://romeo.eprints.org/

Stevan Harnad

AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2004)
is available at:
    http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/index.html
        To join or leave the Forum or change your subscription address:
        Post discussion to:

UNIVERSITIES: If you have adopted or plan to adopt an institutional
policy of providing Open Access to your own research article output,
please describe your policy at:
        http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php

UNIFIED DUAL OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
            journal whenever one exists.
            http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#journals
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/