Nature Back-Slides on Self-Archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:55:58 +0000

                    CORRIGENDUM (January 24 204)

   [This is a correction to the 10 January posting below, which had been
   based on a press release sent me by Declan Butler of Nature that was
   (perhaps unintentionally) misleading. It led me to believe that the
   announcement below was merely an *addendum* to Nature's existing
   self-archiving policy, which had until then been green for immediate
   postprint self-archiving. But in fact the existing Nature policy
   was being withdrawn, without explicitly stating it, and replaced
   by a policy that embargoes self-archiving for 6 months. It would
   seem -- though one cannot be sure -- that the Nature press release had
   been timed to coincide with the scheduled (but suddenly postponed)
   announcement of the NIH's own policy of inviting its fundees to
   self-archive within 6 months (now perhaps to become instead 12 months)
   after publication. This is not Open Access. It is Back Access. And
   the Nature policy is Back-Sliding, with the NIH-6/12 policy as
   its justification. I withdraw my erroneous endorsement of Nature's
   Back-Sliding on self-archiving and instead deplore it in the strongest
   terms. What has now become the NIH Back Access policy, though its
   original intentions were good, was ill-conceived and has now (even
   without being formally announced) turned into a de facto disservice
   to OA and its progress, contrary to the interests of research and
   researchers, and an invitation to publishers to Back-Slide on their
   self-archiving policy. It is fervently to be hoped that the NIH will
   not formalise this Back Access policy, and that responsible green
   publishers will not exploit the confusion as an excuse to Back-Slide
   on green. Nature's URLs on the subject have been vanishing
   mysteriously since the press release -- the self-archiving
   URL below no longer works, but neither at the moment does
   this link in:
   http://npg.nature.com/pdf/archiving.doc
   As this may simply be a coincidence, I include the current link
   from a version I saved while the Nature link still worked:
   http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/05_news.pdf I will be happy
   to remove it if Nature so requests. I provide the
   link now on the assumption that the bad link is just a glitch. If
   the link does not work by the time you read this, it means Nature
   has asked me to remove it.]

ORIGINAL POSTING, BEGINNING WITH MY ERRONEOUS ENDORSEMENT:

Nature is already a full-green publisher: It has given its official
green light to its authors to self-archive both their unrefereed
preprints and their peer-reviewed postprints at any time, if they wish
to do so:
http://npg.nature.com/pdf/05_news.pdf

Nature now announce that -- over and above this green light to its
authors to self-archive if/when they wish to do so -- they are
adding an *encouragement* to their authors to do so (six months
after publication). This is certainly a welcome further impetus to
self-archiving.