Institutional Repositories

From: Richard Poynder <aotg20_at_DSL.PIPEX.COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:12:50 -0000

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>

Hi All,

I am aware that the concept of "the institutional repository" (IR) tends
to mean different things to different people, so I would be interested in
hearing people's views on the topic.

Amongst the different roles I have heard people argue that IRs can/should
play are:

 a) as a repository for a university's research output, with the aim of
increasing access to that research, and so enhancing its impact

 b) as a tool for preserving and curating a university's research output

c) as a tool to assist a university in its digital publishing ambitions,
and

d) as a tool to enable universities offer digital courseware and online
learning services.

Would others agree that IRs are viewed as potentially assisting in all
these tasks?

Are there other tasks people see being assigned to IRs?

Can an IR play a number of different roles simultaneously, or should it
be restricted to just one (possibly two) roles? What are the pros and
cons of using an IR to play more than one role?

Also, what solutions are people choosing when setting up IRs? I am aware
that there are now a number of software and service providers (both for
profit and non-profit), including Eprints, DSpace, Fedora, ProQuest and
BMC. But what are people's views on the roles these different providers
can/should play? Are they playing them well?

Finally, I am also curious as to the current state of play in the major
universities (Stanford, Yale, University of California, MIT, CalTech,
Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge etc. etc.). I assume they all now have IRs up
and running, but what sort of IRs are they creating, what solutions are
they choosing when creating them, what roles are being assigned to these
IRs, and how are these universities going about populating them with the
institution's research output?

Richard Poynder

Freelance Journalist

www.richardpoynder.com