Re: From ROAR to DOAR

From: Eberhard R. Hilf <hilf_at_ISN-OLDENBURG.DE>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:49:21 +0100

dear Simone
> I would like to know if there is a number of articles/papers archived
> untill now around the world and the number of uses. Thank you.
> Simone R. Weitzel
> UNIRIO/Library Science School
> Brasil/Rio de Janeiro - RJ
what for to understand what?
For a number to be worth the effort to count you need a reference scheme
of understanding, e.g.
you want it to compare with something because to draw from that a
conclusion which helps to ..
- tell anyone something?
- sell anyone something?

In case you cannot convince others of such a frame, do it yourself by an
estimate:
All documents archived on any standard: take number of sold computers
times the number of documents on your own.
All scientific documents: take number of scientists in the world times
annual output.
If you do not know the number of scientists worldwide take that of you
own institute, multiply by the ratio to all of your University,
upgrade by the ratio of your University to the Country, to the one of
your country to SouthAmerica etc.

In our case it is simple:
I am one physicist, output 20 per year, 20 colleagues here, 10 faculties,
10% of state, 10% of country, 20% of Europe, 20% of world times 10
years of WWW 100.000.000 scientific documents locally digitally archived.
Science is about .1 % of all fields of activities; thus you get 10 Bill.
But what changes the world if you know this number?
So please be more specific what you want to learn.
Eberhard HIlf