Re: From ROAR to DOAR

From: Simone R Weitzel <simone.weitzel_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:48:14 -0200

Thank you Mr. Eberhard R. Hilf for your information and your explanation
about how to estimate this kind of datas.

Actually, I need this information to show how far this initiative for
free scientific literature can go in an brief article to disseminate
these ideas to a group of Brazilian scientists (communication studies
area).

During a Internation Seminar on Digital Libraries in Brazil. I have heard
from a researcher some datas about those number and he cited one article
wrote by Mr. Harnad who made this count (He did not mention reference
datas).

Accord to him, there are about 15% of the literature totally free. I just
would like to confirm this data because I do not want inform wrong datas.
I looked for many  articles wrote by Mr. Harnad, but I could not find.
 Do you know something about this?

Than you very much for your attention!

best regards!

S!

2006/2/2, Eberhard R. Hilf <hilf_at_isn-oldenburg.de>:
      dear Simone
> I would like to know if there is a number of
      articles/papers archived
> untill now around the world and the number of uses. Thank
      you.
> Simone R. Weitzel
> UNIRIO/Library Science School
> Brasil/Rio de Janeiro - RJ
      what for to understand what?
      For a number to be worth the effort to count you need a
      reference scheme
      of understanding, e.g.
      you want it to compare with something because to draw from
      that a
      conclusion which helps to ..
      - tell anyone something?
      - sell anyone something?

      In case you cannot convince others of such a frame, do it
      yourself by an
      estimate:
      All documents archived on any standard: take number of sold
      computers
      times the number of documents on your own.
      All scientific documents: take number of scientists in the
      world times
      annual output.
      If you do not know the number of scientists worldwide take
      that of you
      own institute, multiply by the ratio to all of your
      University,
      upgrade by the ratio of your University to the Country, to
      the one of
      your country to SouthAmerica etc.

      In our case it is simple:
      I am one physicist, output 20 per year, 20 colleagues here,
      10 faculties,
      10% of state, 10% of country, 20% of Europe, 20% of world
      times 10
      years of WWW 100.000.000 scientific documents locally
      digitally archived.
      Science is about .1 % of all fields of activities; thus you
      get 10 Bill.
      But what changes the world if you know this number?
      So please be more specific what you want to learn.
      Eberhard HIlf

--
Prof. Simone R. Weitzel
Escola de Biblioteconomia