Re: Generic Rationale and Model for University Open Access Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:21:23 -0500

All this means is that RAE also considers unpublished papers. It has
nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not those papers were self-
archived on the web. (Plus, as we know, and as many studies by
Charles himself has shown, the RAE outcome is highly correlated with
the citation counts of the journal articles submitted; and
Departments place high -- too high -- emphasis on the "citation
impact factor" of the journal in which the 4 articles selected for
submission were published.)

So although the RAE nominally considers all papers, and it definitely
does not count citations directly, there is considerable emphasis on
journal articles on both sides. Moreover, I profoundly doubt that
many RAE submissions actually get read (let alone read by someone as
competent to evaluate them as the referees of the journal in which
the originally appeared). So the fate of an unpublished manuscript
amounts to the fate of a book judged by its cover (without even the
help of its publisher and his prior track record for quality)...

Stevan Harnad