Re: Generic Rationale and Model for University Open Access Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:34:44 +0000

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Charles is well-conflating
letter and spirit here:

    Yes, the RAE officially countenances and counts unpublished papers
    too.

    No, they don't count for much -- and they don't count as
    "publications," for either the RAE or your own academic CV.

    The query was: Does RAE count self-archived, unpublished papers as
    published papers?

    The answer is: No it doesn't. But it does count unpublished papers,
    if submitted, whether self-archived or not.

    Letter: RAE "counts" unpublished papers, but they don't count
    (weigh in) as "publications."

    Spirit: Best not to submit unpublished papers to RAE

    Relevance to OA self-archiving, one way or the other: Zero

Might there be some unpublished jewels out there? Possibly. Is RAE likely
to read and recognise their true value? Very unlikely. Moral: submit
them to a reputable journal for peer review first; then the journal tag,
at least, can do its job for RAE. And self-archive them too, to maximise
their usage and impact.

Stevan Harnad