Submitting unpublished web-posted papers to RAE

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:13:08 -0500

Last pass and then I withdraw from this much-repeating topic: Has any
of you actually tried to submit an unrefereed, unpublished paper,
posted on the web, for one (or more) of your four RAE submissions? How
did your department and your university feel about it? And what RAE
rank did they get?

I've done RAE submissions (from a 5* department) and we aimed at
articles published in peer-reviewed journals (and peer-reviewed
conference proceedings); we even discouraged book-chapters. Those who
did not have the requisite publications were simply not submitted as
among our active researchers. An earlier department I was in did the
same. Are we anomalous, or are the discussants on this thread talking
about empty formalities ("outputs") while missing substance and
reality?

Stevan

PS before it starts: I know there are discipline differences, and I am
talking only about journal-based disciplines. I know that peer review
is not perfect, but this is not about perfecting peer review; I know
there is the rare unpublished masterpiece, but we are not talking about
rare exceptions but everyday bread. And last of all, this is a
repositories list, talking about what can and should be deposited in
IRs, how, and why. RAE is not one of the reasons for or against
depositing unrefereed, unpublished papers; nor is OA (though there are
other reasons for doing it).