Re: Author self-archiving and legacy retrodigitization and archiving

From: R. Stephen Berry <berry_at_UCHICAGO.EDU>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:57:16 -0500

Just a short comment on Steven Harnad's latest,
probably repeating the obvious. Near the end, he
says
>"Making a journal's legacy content accessible online is a journal's
>decision to make, and the constraints of cost-recovery dictate how and
where they do it."
True. So is deciding whether or not to shoot
one's own foot. Journals that do not make their
publications accessible on line will lose
usefulness and disappear at about the rate that
users now about 30 or younger move into more
senior positions. Even my oldest, most senior
colleagues virtually never go to a library any
more for access to a journal. However at this
time, there are still situations in which one is
obligated to publish something in a periodical
that isn't available on line. This is precisely
the situation in which scanning and
self-archiving is the only way to make it at all
likely that the publication will be seen by
anyone other than the fraction of subscribers who
actually look at the periodical's contents.

        Steve Berry