Re: Canada's SSHRC lacks leader, hence leadership, on OA

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 08:26:36 +1000

In my terminology, Jean-Claude's 2b, 2c, 2d, 2e and 2f are not incentives
but all just forms of a mandate differing slightly from each other. They
are all about the same or generally higher level of difficulty in
achievement as a simple institutional 'mandate': "authors must deposit
all research papers".

In fact I prefer not to use the word 'mandate' but rather talk about a
'requirement policy'. I can throw in 2h "arm-twisting by a senior member
of a modest-sized department" which is also achievable but of limited
impact. Choose your kind of mandate, but realize that that is what you
are doing.

2g and all author-support or incentive type actions are useless with
non-participants. They simply ignore them. The evidence is clear and
global - nothing works on non-participants until there is a requirement
to deposit; then and only then do all the incentives cut in. BTW, my so
far unpublished research is suggesting that the transition from voluntary
deposit to a pattern typical of a requirement (once the policy is in
place) takes of the order of 2-3 years and may be affected by incentives.

So to repeat my message for repository managers - simple, condensed and
straightforward - shorn of all unnecessary detail:

1.      Try to get a requirement policy before you establish a
repository.

2.      If you have a repository already, or elect to start anyway, make
it crystal clear to everyone that a requirement policy is in your sights
and that it is inevitable.

3.      Don't waste your institution's time and money on incentives until
you have a requirement policy. They don't work. Leave the field to the
self-motivated early adopters who see the benefits to themselves.

4.      Once you have a requirement policy, apply any or all incentives
that you can afford.

Arthur Sale