Re: Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:05:39 +0100

On 16 Jun 2006, at 09:16, l.hurtado_at_ED.AC.UK wrote:

> So, essentially, Stevan's enthusiasm for a metrics approach is
> dependent on his vision of OA compliance by us all . . . scholars in
> all fields, publishers, universities, govts, funding bodies, etc.
> When
> that's all in place, let me know.

There is only one piece of this picture that each researcher needs to
have in place, and that is the use of their own institution's Open
Access repository. I see that you have already begun to use
Edinburgh's Research Archive (http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/index.jsp)
for some of your work. if everyone were to do that then we would be a
lot closer to full OA! You could discuss the practical difficulties
that you described in your posting with Theo Andrews and John MacColl
from Edinburgh's library.
--
Les