Re: Against Conflating OA Self-Archiving With Preservation-Archiving

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:25:54 +0100

On 11 Jul 2006, at 15:19, Hamaker, Chuck wrote:

> Self Archiving as a term, while used
> by the current community, seems to be a barrier (as implied by the
> need
> for Stevan's earlier post) to easy explanation and understanding of
> the
> goal for those who aren't involved directly in that community.

There are many dimesions to clarification, and the labels/tokens that
we use are the least of anyone's problems.

> Several libraries and others have decided to shed the
> repository/depository labels for OA specific tools (

Good for them! May they find a locally relevant vocabulary to simply
explain (and achieve) the simple goals of OA.

I will continue to talk about self-archiving on this list, while at
my institution I will talk about "depositing a paper".
--
Les Carr