Re: Against Conflating OA Self-Archiving With Preservation-Archiving

From: Jeffery, KG (Keith) <"Jeffery,>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:22:01 +0100

Dear Colleagues -

It is worth noting that an objection to open access voiced somewhat
commonly is that the author is not confident that their work output will
be preserved 'for all time'. Of course there is no guarantee with a
journal either but there is some confidence that research output
deposited with a respectable journal will continue to be available
(although in a digital age this may be less secure).

While I agree with Stevan that the primary objective is to rise from 15%
to 100% deposition of metadata and full (hypermedia) publication I
believe the word 'archive' is no bad thing as it gives authors the
'feeling' of long-term preservation of their research output.

Prof Keith G Jeffery Director Information Technology
and International Strategy
kgj_at_rl.ac.uk CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
T:+44 1235 44 6103 Chilton, Didcot, OXON OX11 0QX UK
F:+44 1235 44 5147
WWW Person: http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk/Person/K.G.Jeffery
Department: http://www.bitd.clrc.ac.uk
President ERCIM & CCLRC Director: http://www.ercim.org/
W3C Office at CLRC-RAL http://www.w3.org/
President euroCRIS http://www.eurocris.org/
VLDB Trustee Emeritus: http://www.vldb.org/
EDBT Board Member http://www.edbt.org/
The contents of this email are sent in confidence for the use of the
intended recipient only. If you are not one of the intended recipients
do not take action on it or show it to anyone else, but return this
email to the sender and delete your copy of it
The CCLRC telecommunications systems may be monitored in accordance with
the policy available from
<http://dlitd.dl.ac.uk/policy/monitoring/monitoring%20statement.htm>.