Re: Forthcoming OA Developments in France

From: guedon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:21:03 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Returning from the serene peace of forests and lakes, I was quite
startled by the venomous tone of the message below.

My!!! What a lovely human spirit!!! At least Hobbes, when he began to
assume that human beings were wolves to each other, was simply using the
worst-case scenario to demonstrate that social life was possible
notwithstanding. In the message below, we just have an appeal to the
kind of pseudo-realism one sometimes encounters in a dorm designed for
sophomores (remember the etymology...). The world is crap. Yeah...
yeah... Better learn how to survive in it. Yeah... yeah... The bloody
fangs of nature and all the rest of it... yeah... yeah...

Alternatively, Ms. Dittrich may be a devotee of Louis-Ferdinand Céline's
"Voyage au bout de la nuit"... If this be the case, she might consider
spending some time reading his biography, however busy she may be.

All the motivations ascribed to Harold Varmus, Stevan Harnad et tutti
quanti display a form of reasoning about as far removed from the true
scientific spirit as one can imagine. These are personal attacks without
any value whatsoever. They are surprising, coming as they do from
someone claiming to be a researcher, and one involved in medical
education to boot.

Just a little note about scientists already having sufficient access
through their libraries. This is more or less true of well-heeled
institutions, most of which are in wealthy countries. However, it is
never completely true, hence the need for OA.

For the rest of the world, this constitutes a barrier which corresponds
to yet another obstacle to development.

Finally, a large majority of scientific research is financed by public
money and scientific publications are largely bought by
publicly-supported libraries. On the macro, aggregate, level, the
world's public money makes most scientific research possible and then
more of the world's public money buys the published results for
researchers like ourselves. Does Ms. Dittrich know where the world's
public money come from?

Jean-Claude Guédon