Re: Fwd: List of Hybrid OA publishers?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:24:47 +0100

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Pauline Simpson wrote:

> Is there a quick answer to this? (forwarded from another list)
>
> >From: Frank Norman <fnorman_at_NIMR.MRC.AC.UK>
> >
> >Can anyone direct me to an up-to-date list of publishers (or
> >journals) with hybrid OA options? The DOAJ does not seem to cover
> >such journals.

There is as yet no systematic list, but Bill Hubbard has recently sent the
following information from the SHERPA Romeo directory
http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo.php

I've transformed his data from the more complicated SHERPA-Romeo colour code
(green, blue, yellow, white, [red, grey])
to the simpler EPrints-Romeo colour-code:

GREEN = green light to immediately self-archive the postprint OR both the
postprint and the preprint

PALE-GREEN = green light to immediately self-archive the preprint

From: Hubbard Bill <Bill.Hubbard AT nottingham.ac.uk>

> The following publishers listed on RoMEO have introduced a hybrid
> journal programme:

GREEN hybrid journals

(1) Springer: 1300 journals; all GREEN (all hybrid)
> Springer introduced a hybrid programme and still allow unembargoed
> author-version archiving.
> Springer explicitly re-affirmed the archiving rights
> when [SHERPA] contacted them.

(2) Wiley: 412 journals; all GREEN (all hybrid?)
> Wiley have not followed up their hybrid announcement with any
> restriction on archiving that we know of.

(3) Elsevier: 2219 journals; all GREEN (not all hybrid yet)
> Elsevier introduced a hybrid programme and still allow unembargoed
> author-version archiving.

(4) CUP: 186 journals; all GREEN; 15 hybrid
> CUP have launched their hybrid programme and still explicitly allow
> author's version immediate archiving and then the archiving of the
> publishers pdf after 12 months.

(5) BMJ: 27 journals: all GREEN (all hybrid; green ambiguous)
> "authors will now be permitted to deposit their version of an article in
> their institutions' or a subject based repository immediately on
> acceptance, subject to a six month embargo from the date of print
> publication before making it free to all. "

(6) Royal Society: 7 journals; all GREEN (all hybrid; green ambiguous)
> The Royal Society introduced a hybrid programme. They have a statement
> which implies that they have withdrawn their archiving rights...
> http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1334
> However, they retain their existing CTAs on-line, which are what are
> signed by authors. We have written for clarification. In the meantime,
> they remain GREEN

PALE-GREEN hybrid journals

(7) OUP: 188 journals; all PALE-GREEN (all hybrid, backslid from GREEN)]
> OUP introduced embargoes at the same time as their hybrid programme and
> dropped from [GREEN to PALE-GREEN]

(8) Blackwell: 698 journals: all PALE-GREEN (all hybrid, backslid from GREEN)]