Re: Open Choice is a Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandates

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:53:00 -0400

I would have agreed with the dismissal of "OA by the Article" just a
few months ago. But it has now actually demonstrated in the field
that this method gives a way of making the
transition: the author pays for OA now, (or immediate OA), and
the journal becomes somewhat less expensive for everybody.
This takes a certain amount of altruism and a certain amount of hope.

As for altruism, the early payers for OA will presumably be -- or
at least ought to be -- those well-funded laaboratories whose funders
not merely permit and will specifically encourage this payment.
As for faith, I didn't have any when
Springer first came out with its plan; I do now, when OUP has reduced
the prices of its first such jounals.

The library ability to fund OA is not all-or-nothing. To the extent that
subscriptions are lowered by this method, there will be savings. As
an example, the normal price increase for a commercially-produced
 periodical is 5%-9% a year. We'll take the average, 7%, and suppose
that 10% of the articles are sponsored, using grant funds. This permits
the library to have a 3% savings, some of which should go to OA fees
for those without specificaly designated grant funds, and some should go
to purchases of other library material where OA is not yet relevant.

The only catch is that it may be difficult for libraries to keep all of this money,
and use it for the intended purpose. Jan does not address the tactical problem
of the libraries giving up the money to the provost, and the provost
(or the legislature) not using it for OA, but relying on the outside grants.

I'd guess
that the research libraries might be able to bear half the cost, with
granting agencies the rest.
All of this is not just compatible, but complementary with Green OA.

1) Eysenbach has clearly shown that the highest citation results are obtained
when an article is both published OA and self-archived. (There is some
dsagreement about which of the two has the greater influence, but consensus that
using both is the best.)

2) The best-founded objection to Green OA, imho, is that it is not sustainable.
Some may think it is, but for those who think the objection is real, there
is now a clear way to prevent any harm. This should greatly simply the
debate: all can agree, though perhaps for different reasons.

>Nothing irrational in that. What would be irrational would be to pay for
>publication *now*, when the subscriptions are still being paid, and when
>it is still unknown whether and when demand will disappear --

There are many factors influencing why a library would keep a subscription.
Keeping print is only a small part. Many libraries that mainain electronic
subscriptions do not keep print--in some cases, even of core journals.
That is a separaate debate, which is not directly pertinent to OA and
would better be discussed separately.

Libraries respond to the expressed an measured user needs,
and would not get funded otherwise.
Some library's users might doubt that the scientific quality of postprints and
publishers versions are similar: this can be answered by measurement, not
arguement, and my group will soon have preliminary results to report.
Some users will say the readability of piblishers versions is better; this should be
susceptible to experiment, though I know of no studies.
Preservation also needs a separate discussion, but I mention that merely
 preserving the publishers is not enough.

A library buys what its users use. If they prefer subscription versions,
they will be continued. If they are not used, they will be cancelled.
Librarians have a range of opinions on this , as the Ware study has shown,
but their opinions are not the determining factor. The patron use is
the determining factor.

Although "the research community is unspeakable sluggish about pursuing its
own Rational Self-Interest," the spread of "OA by the Article" may be just the
might speed. As for the publishers, their survival is their responsibility, and perhaps
they may at last have found a way to fulfill it.

I am interested in OA, and --as for many librarians--whatever works will do.
It doesn't have to be something I like on hypothetical grounds. It doesn't have to be something
I've supported in the past. It doesn't have to be something I helped devise.

It does need a complementary method that can be in effect very fast, for we cannot
put off meeting all the needs of all the potential users. Libraries and teachers
and scientists deal with the present generation as well as the future. Depositing in a
repository is just the thing for that--nobody has suggested a better.

We should be able to not just agree on that, but do it.

David Goodman, Ph.D.

Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library
(Retired)