Re: Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

From: C.Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:46:27 +0100

The question betrays a misunderstanding of how citation indexes work.
Citation indexes scan the journal literature for citations to all media, not
just other journals. So it makes no difference what vehicle the humanities
scholar disseminated his/her output in, the item will get picked up by the
citation index.

The notion that a group of informed scholars could come up with a ranking
list over 30 minutes is an appealing one, but the fact remains that the UK's
RAE takes about a year to collect and analyse the data, together with many
meetings of the group of scholars, before decisions are made. one reason
for this tedious approach is to avoid legal challenges that the results were
not robustly reached.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Head