Re: CIHR Proposes Optimal OA Self-Archiving Mandate

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:52:28 -0400

I agree that this is a forward step over many similar policies,
even if it does have logical deficiencies.
I would add one more desideratum, and I'm suprised you
omitted it:

access on the day of publication

It would seem apparent that the question of which
repository is secondary as long as it is a secure
well-run OAI compliant repository. On this, we can accept
anything that works.

It would also seem apparent that full access on the day
of publication is an absolute requirement, and has been
so from the first.

One of the key groups we have always
wanted to help is the researchers at smaller universities,
 or even large ones that did not get a particular journal.
This was the point of the open access advantage
argument--that authors should publish OA,
so that their less well-situated colleagues
could see, could use, and could cite.
You in particular have always stressed this reason.
I have not given up on this. Have you?

180 days delay will not serve this group, and I am suprised at your accepting it.
Admittedly, most authors do not themselves see the benefit, or think it worth
the trouble--but that has always been the reason given for the need for mandates,
to induce the authors to do what will benefit themselves and others.

180 days is probably sufficient for the students wrting term papers, but they're not
the primary cateogory, important though it is for the developent of future scientists.

If one were to accept your argument, than the majority of Highwire journals, which are in
a very reliable repository (and most of them in PMC as well), meet the equirements for
OA. I have the greatest respect for Highwire's service, and for its unrelenting efforts
to reduce embargo periods. If this is the best we can get right now from some publishers,
it'll have to do.

But it is not the goal. Go back and read Budapest.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library