Re: Open Letter to Philip Campbell, Editor, Nature

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 02:38:25 +0000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Peter Banks wrote:

> > SH:
> > "All peer-reviewed journals, great or small, incur some expense
> > in managing (not actually performing) peer review. But it is an
> > incontestable fact that the peers who review, review for free. The
> > in-house editors are *managing* the peer review; they are deciding
> > and advising and editing, but they are not the peer reviewers.
> > (If they were, it would not even really be peer review, but an
> > in-house vanity press.)"
>

> Your comments reveal that you really do not understand peer review in
> biomedical sciences.

Evidently, Peter Banks, "Named one of 2006's most influential people in
the magazine industry," does not feel that having been, for a quarter
century, editor-in-chief of Behavioral and Brain Sciences (BBS,
an international, interdisciplinary journal published by Cambridge
University Press and having a 2-digit impact factor, the highest in each
of the several biobehavioral sciences over which it ranges) is evidence
of understanding peer review in biomedical sciences...

http://www.bbsonline.org/
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/Kata/bbs.editorial.html
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/bbs.valedict.html

> These "in-house" editors are not in house at the
> publisher's offices. In Endocrinology Journals, they are at Harvard, UCLA,
> Penn, etc. These senior professors are hardly the file clerks you seem to
> envision; their management of the peer review process entails selecting
> reviewers, reconciling the often divergent reviews, and setting the
> standards for the entire process.

Yes, BBS had and has a distinguished Editorial Board too, "selecting
reviewers, reconciling the often divergent reviews, and setting the
standards for the entire [peer review] process." And your point is what,
exactly? That the earnings of the Editor in Chief and Editorial Board,
and their management of the peer review process, are the lion's share
of a journal's costs, and earnings? That if the paper edition and
the online edition, and the generation, distribution and archiving of
the text were phased out and offloaded instead onto the network of Institutional
Repositories' and if what the Editor in Chief and Editorial Board do,
online -- namely, the management of the peer review -- were all that was
left; and if all institutional subscriptions were cancelled; that all
the institutional subscription savings would not be enough to pay the
peer-review costs, per paper, for every paper submitted by every
institutional author, several times over?

For that is all that is at issue, in the speculative challenge: 'If
mandated self-archiving were ever to kill off subscriptions, what would
pay for peer review?'

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm

But, now we are done with speculating and counter-speculating, let us admit
that no one knows whether and when mandated self-archiving will ever
kill off subscriptions, and until then the only issue is: 'How long will
research continue to lose half of its potential daily access and impact,
cumulatively, and needlessly?'

http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html

And that is purely a research issue, not a publishing issue -- which is precisely
what I said, that so offended Peter Banks.

> Frankly, Green OA had damn well better be concerned about publishing
> economics, and how it supports the university based peer review system, or
> it had better come up with some other system for peer review.

Ummm, could Green OA possibly sum up its concern with the following contingency
plans:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm

and then wait and see what happens? And meanwhile stanch the hemorrhaging impact by
mandating self-archiving?

Stevan Harnad