Re: Open Letter to Philip Campbell, Editor, Nature

From: Christopher D. Green <christo_at_YORKU.CA>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:54:35 -0500

Peter Banks wrote:

> Most society journals are not giant, do not have full time editors, but
> instead support at considerable cost editorial offices in major
> universities.

Most? Perhaps a few big ones. Not most by any stretch. The office space
is often provided by the school, free of charge, and the (usually grad
student) editorial assistant (if there is one) is paid for by the school
as well. The editor usually paid what could only be called an
honorarium (considering the expertise required and the amount of work
done) and the reviewers are paid nothing whatever.

> Until that fact is recognized--and OA advocates cease and desist with the
> nonsense that peer review is free--there can be no intelligent
> discussion of
> OA.

Who said it was free? I said the costs of peer review were mostly borne
by others, not by the publisher.

Regards,
--
Christopher D. Green