Re: Open Research Metrics

From: Andrew McCallum <mccallum_at_CS.UMASS.EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:30:11 -0500

Greetings! I've been lurking on this list for a few months, and
enjoying the messages. I have a lot to say about these topics, and I
think its high time I chime in!... in particular on the topic of
Research Metrics.

Brief self-introduction: I'm a professor of CS at UMass Amherst,
doing research in machine learning, NLP, and digital libraries. In
1998, while at CMU, I built Cora, an early contemporary of CiteSeer,
which used a lot of machine learning to do accurate metadata
extraction and entity resolution. In 2003 I received significant
funding from the NSF to research large-scale information extraction
and data mining, and create an enhanced alternative to CiteSeer and
Google Scholar. The result is a new system called "Rexa".
http://rexa.info/

Rexa is a digital library covering the computer science research
literature and the people who create it. Rexa is a sibling to
CiteSeer, Google Scholar, Academic.live.com, the ACM Portal. It's
chief enhancement is that Rexa knows about more first-class, de-
duplicated, cross-referenced object types: not only papers and their
citation links, but also people, grants, topics---and in the future
universities, conferences, journals, research communities, and more.

Many relevant publications are at
http://www.cs.umass.edu/~mccallum/publications-by-date.html

Rexa currently provides:
* Keyword search on over 7 million papers (mostly in computer science)
* Cross-linked pages for papers, authors, topics and NSF grants
* Browsing by citations, authors, co-authors, cited authors, citing
authors;
   (find who cites you most by clicking "Citing authors" on your home
page)
* Web-2.0-style "tagging" to bookmark papers
* Automatically-gathered contact info and photos of author's faces
* Ability to send Rexa invitations to additional people of your choosing

Coming soon:
* Various bug fixes.
   (For example, I think that if you select "Remember my ID", login
will fail.)
* Much improved coverage of recent CS papers (it's fairly weak now)
* Ability to make corrections to extracted data
* Home pages for institutions and venues (already running in t the lab)
* Improved author coreference. Tough problem, on which we do much
research.

Coming later:
* Improved extraction accuracy
* Much more data mining, topic analysis, trend analysis, etc.
* Broader coverage of more research fields

I'll close here and comment on Research Metrics in my next message.

Best,
Andrew

--
Andrew McCallum                    mccallum_at_cs.umass.edu
Associate Professor                www.cs.umass.edu/~mccallum