Re: Journal Length Constraints

From: Peter Banks <pbanks_at_BANKSPUB.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:07:38 -0500

It may be that the editor in question was gaming the system for higher
citations...it certainly happens. However, one does not have to invoke a
conspiratorial reason for wanting a paper shortened.

I don't think I am alone in not looking forward to the print version
supplemented by one or more lengthy "director's cut" versions in
repositories. A strict word limit, like hanging, tends to concentrate the
mind wonderfully. Though the deposited version might contain useful
supplementary data, it might also be simply represent the self-indulgence of
a gassy author.

After all, Watson and Crick's 1953 Nature paper on the structure of DNA runs
barely more than a page. A paper that modestly suggested "a possible copying
mechanism for the genetic material² needed no supplementary detritus to
change the face of science.

Perhaps what enabled Watson and Crick to think and to write with such
clarity and vigor was the need to be concise. As William Strunk said,
"Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary
words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a
drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary
parts."

We should guard against cluttering the Web with unnecessary parts simply
because it is easy to do so.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services