Re: Green OA is no threat to grants: Only Gold OA, today, might be

From: David J. Solomon,. Ph.D. <dsolomon_at_msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:55:52 -0500

Stevan,

I don't disagree with much of what you are saying and I am all for
funding agencies mandating archiving. It would certainly make OA
happen quicker but I doubt immediately and not without some cost. The
EU petition like I believe most other OA mandates have a grace period
to allow (in theory) the non-OA journals to be still able to sell
subscriptions and keep operating. Will it work? I'm not sure. It will
certainly put significant economic pressure on non OA publishers,
maybe not a bad thing but if they start abandoning journals it could
be a problem. Is there a cost involved, yes, a delay of 6 months, a
year or what ever is mandated. Is that better than spending some
research funds to pay for immediate publication in a OA journal?
Probably in most cases but it is still a very real cost.

I just think having a whole variety of green and gold models in play
isn't necessarily a bad thing at this point in time. It's been about
15 years since the Web became public and electronic publication
became practical on a large scale. We still have a ways to go in
figuring out how to use its full capability. That includes the
details of a workable long-term model funding and publication model
that includes more than just archiving. As you indicated in your
earlier post it is likely we will eventually end up with an all OA
journal system of some sort. The experimentation and development that
is going on in both the gold and green arenas is needed. Just for
example take Open Journal Systems. A superb open-source journal
management system that can dramatically reduce the cost and
efficiency of publication. Something like 500 journals are already
using it and I suspect virtually all are OA. If the entire focus of
the OAI movement was on archiving it probably wouldn't have happened.

Most of the focus on gold approach has been on author pay models. As
you correctly point out, they account for the major gold journals.
That's not to say there isn't a lot of good things happening with the
smaller OA journals that run largely on volunteer effort. They are
never going to be a major way scholarship is disseminated but in
aggregate they are publishing a lot of articles and many of them are
pretty good journals.

Dave Solomon