Re: Stop fighting the inevitable - and free funds for openaccess!

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:49:18 +0000 (GMT)

    OA IS NOT ABOUT FREEING FUNDS (FOR OA PUBLISHING)
    IT IS ABOUT FREEING RESEARCH FINDINGS, FOR RESEARCHERS

Some well-meaning OA advocates are again promulgating nonsense, as usual.
What is inevitable (and optimal) is freeing research, not funds!

OA is not about funding OA (Gold) publishing (nor about publishing itself,
particularly).

It is about researchers providing online access to their peer-reviewed
findings for those researchers webwide who cannot afford paid access.

OA can and will be provided by researcher self-archiving (Green),
mandated by the research community, by and for itself. The outcome will
(easily and naturally) be adapted to by publishing, if need be. The rest
is all idle, pre-emptive speculation, aired ad nauseam for years now,
with no new arguments or evidence.

The publishing community has next to nothing to do with the immediate
reachability of OA by and for the research community (although publishers'
blessing -- by going Green -- is of course always welcome: all APS
journals are Green; possibly all AIP journals?); and of course the
increasingly desperate (and disreputable) lobbying by some publishers
against Green OA mandates will not only fail, but will leave their
proponents with egg on their face (openly) as in the current, silly,
"Pit-Bull" furor...

Stevan Harnad