Re: Physics World: The CERN Gold OA initiative

From: J.F.B.Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:15:08 -0000

Similar arguments to these of Paul Ayris's have been advanced by academic
librarians before.  They are based on the assumption that Gold OA
payments would be charged to the library budget within institutions.  The
librarians worry that the costs will be even greater than subscription
charges, and even less under their control.  Re-reading my notes of
Robert Aymar's contribution at the recent Brussels Conference, I see no
suggestion of library involvement - the proposed Sponsoring Consortium
for Open Access Publishing is made up of the major research laboratories
and research funders for high-energy physics, not of libraries.

Generalising from physics to academia at large, a Gold OA funding regime
organised between major research funders and research universities would
not necessarily involve their libraries at all.  I think perhaps this is
the reason why librarians - especially those in major research-intensive
universities - are unhappy at the prospect.  Fortunately for them, I also
do not believe that the CERN model is generalisable.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University.