Haworth demands copyright prior to peer review

From: Thomas Krichel <krichel_at_OPENLIB.ORG>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:17:16 -0500

  Virginia Baldwin writes

> As for copyright permission prior to peer review, the publisher needs
> permission to publish a work.

  Yes, so they could require the permission before starting peer
  review. But they require full copyright transfer

http://www.haworthpress.com/store/product.asp?sid=XV6Q7VFDW1298HPXQ6FEK7B3EPS5FWE5&sku=J122&detail=IFA#IFA

  where I read today

| COPYRIGHT
| Copyright ownership of your manuscript must be transferred officially
| to The Haworth Press, Inc., before we can begin the peer-review
| process. The editor's letter acknowledging receipt of the manuscript
| will be accompanied by a form fully explaining this. All authors must
| sign the form and return the original to the editor as soon as
| possible. Failure to return the copyright form in a timely fashion
| will result in a delay in review and subsequent publication.

  I quote this here because I suspect that they will change
  policy once this gets more publicity.

> Do we really need to burden a journal's (unpaid) editor with
> obtaining peer review of a manuscript whose author has not yet
> granted permission, and may be submitting simultaneously to another
> journal?

  Journal routinely require submission exclusivity, and that is
  fine.

> As for resubmission, once rejected, I do not know the legal issues
> involved, but I think nullification of the copyright agreement would
> be easy to obtain.

  In the page cited above I did not see an indication that this will
  happen. There is no right to get back the copyright. On submission,
  you loose all your rights to your work. You have no bargaining
  power.

  One would have to be quite insane to accept such conditions.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel mailto:krichel_at_openlib.org
                                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel
                                            skype id: thomaskrichel