Journal embargo periods.

From: Andrew A. Adams <A.A.Adams_at_READING.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:54:42 +0900

While looking at the Journal of Legal Studies for possible submission, I
noted the University of Chicago Press is green for its journals. It allows
non-commercial deposit, specifically including institutional repository
deposit. There is an interesting element in it's embargo period:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/rights.html
Can I include my published paper in an official institutional repository?

You may place your published paper in a non-commercial data repository
maintained by an institution of which you are a member, provided that all
relevant conditions described in this FAQ and on the journal's home page are
met. Your paper may be made publicly available after the appropriate embargo
period* has been observed. You are responsible for informing the manager of
the institutional repository of the embargo period that must be observed.

*Embargo periods are as follows: American Journal of Human Genetics: 6
months; Astrophysical Journal and Supplement Series, Astronomical Journal,
Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific: 3 years; all other
journals: 12 months.

As has been stated here many times, ID/OA with an embargo period is the
minimum "green policy" and allows the eprint capability to produce
more-or-less OA even within the embargo.

The reason I think this is of interest to the community here is the length of
the embargo period for the three astronomy/astrophysics journals. Has anyone
else come across a THREE YEAR embargo period before?

--
*E-mail*a.a.adams_at_rdg.ac.uk********  Dr Andrew A Adams
**snail*27 Westerham Walk**********  School of Systems Engineering