Europe's Digital Library experts

From: N. Miradon <nmiradon_at_YAHOO.FR>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 04:28:27 -0400

Rune Nilsen said
>It is a wrong link to the web page: right page is
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/scientific/index_en.htm=20

I think that the good link (news dated 18 April 2007) is [1].
And that Rune Nilsen's link [2] (news dated on 14 February) is less good.

Charles Oppenheim said
>>If I am right, then the discussion won't be of interest to this Forum.

I'm not sure that Professor Oppenheim _is_ right. [1] says
"... the group will discuss today how to ensure more open access to
scientific research and how to improve public-private collaboration ..."

N.Miradon

[1] says (inter alia)
"18 April 2007 - The EU's High Level Expert Group on Digital Libraries ^Ö
which includes, amongst others, stakeholders from the British Library, the
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek, the Federation of European Publishers, and
Google ^Ö will present this afternoon an advisory report on copyright issues
to the European Commission. Besides, the group will discuss today how to
ensure more open access to scientific research and how to improve
public-private collaboration. The work of the High Level Group is part of
the European Commission's efforts to make Europe's rich cultural and
scientific heritage available online. For this, the group advises the
Commission on issues regarding digitisation, online accessibility and
digital preservation of cultural material."

[2] says (inter alia)
"*Digital Libraries Initiative Homepage :: Scientific and Scholarly Information
"**Scientific and Scholarly Information
"*** Scientific and scholarly information represents the second part of the
Digital Library Initiative.
"*** This is an area with its own specifics and dynamics in view of the need
to handle and store huge quantities of digital data, and the rapid growth of
publications only available in digital form.
"*** The Commission adopted on 14 February 2007 a Communication on access to
scientific information in the digital age (EN, FR, DE; all PDF files; final
versions).

1.
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/index_en.htm
2.
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/scientific/index_en.htm

>Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:02:21 +0200
>From: Rune Nilsen <Rune.Nilsen_at_CIH.UIB.NO>
>Subject: Re: Europe's Digital Library experts
>
>It is a wrong link to the web page: right page is
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/scientific/index_en.htm=20

Behalf Of C.Oppenheim_at_lboro.ac.uk

.