Re: Information platform open-access.net now online!

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 16:10:25 +0100

The "derivative works" clause has always been misapplied as a criterion
for Open Access. It certainly is not. The authors of refereed journal
articles certainly do not want to give a blanket authorisation to create
"derivative works" from their articles!

My guess is that this is unwitting (and unwanted) spill-over from some
aspects of the Creative Commons initiative. Possibly the maker of a
Disney-like cartoon may sometimes want to release his creation so that,
say, high school students (or Hollywood wannabes) can mix/match bits to
create "derivative works" from it. But this has nothing to do with Open
Access to research articles.

On the other hand, something very much like it *is* applicable to
research itself, and always has been: The *contents*, the *findings* in
a research article are freely available for "derivative works," namely,
more research and applications, building on the findings.

But this has nothing to do with licensing the *text* of the article, for
the creation of derivative texts.

I know I am a curmudgeon, but I sometimes think that others are just
somnambulists!

    On the Deep Disanalogy Between Text and Software and Between Text
    and Data Insofar as Free/Open Access is Concerned
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2968.html

    Making Ends Meet in the Creative Commons
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3798.html

Stevan Harnad