Re: Get the Institutional Repository Managers Out of the Decision Loop

From: Millington Peter <Peter.Millington_at_NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:02:43 +0100

The policies in the OpenDOAR Policies Tool were derived mainly from an
extensive survey of around 300 repositories that was undertaken at the
beginning of 2006. The options therefore generally reflect the actual
permissions, restrictions and practices of real repository
administrators. Some are sites VERY open with their material (e.g.
Lincoln's "You may do as you wish with any metadata harvested from this
site") to highly propriatorial (e.g. ULP Strasbourg's "Text, data and
images should not be downloaded, nor redistributed nor published anywhere
else").

It is up to users of the Policies Tool as to how open or restrictive they
are. Administrators can, and perhaps should bypass the restrictive
options. Les's example is a case in point. (A few repositories had shot
themselves in the foot by prohibiting all harvesting, thus disallowing
Google and other search engines from indexing their content. We therefore
added the riders - adapted from Caltech's policies - to improve matters.)

The Tool also provides links that automatically select "minimal" or
"optimal" policies. The "minimal" policies generally do the least
possible to comply with the spirit of Open Access, whereas conversely the
"Optimal" policies go as far as possible to promote re-use (and encourage
best practices). We've tried to do a good job with the policy options and
recommendations, but are not written in stone. There is always room for
improvement, so if Les or anyone else has any constructive suggestions,
we would be very happy to receive them.

Peter Millington