Re: The RAE and our Parliamentary Briefing Note (fwd)

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:03:17 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:29:53 +0100 (BST)
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad -- ecs.soton.ac.uk>
TO: CPHC list
Subject: Re: The RAE and our Parliamentary Briefing Note

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Harold Thimbleby wrote [on CPHC]:

> HEFCE has asked us to provide hardcopies and CDs of RAE outputs.
>
> In the 21st century it is astounding (it astounds me anyway) that, as
> well as being required to provide physical outputs, we have to submit
> CDs (but not CD-rw nor DVD-rw because HEFCE can't cope with them) of
> PDFs.

This anachronistic piece of somnambulism on the part of the
"decision-makers" at HEFCE was drawn to their attention some time ago
(to no detectable avail), and it runs far deeper than demanding CDs
of PDFs:

    "Re: Question for publishers - Research Assessment Exercise 2008"
    (Feb 2006)
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/5121.html

My only glimpse of how things are done at high levels comes from my
preoccupation with the one circumscribed issue (for which I was recently
voted into silence by a vocal handful on CPHC, so I make bold to respond
on this occasion with some trepidation!), OA, but maybe this is just
a random sample of the ubiquitous dyseconomies and dysfunctionalities of
scale that prevail everywhere, if we look closely enough at large-scale
policy...

Stevan Harnad
University of Southampton