Re: Elsevier Still Solidly on the Side of the Angels on Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:46:26 -0400

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 matt.hodgkinson_at_biomedcentral.com wrote:

> I'm not sure that this policy is as ideal as Stevan states.
>
> "Elsevier-published authors employed by
> corporations may post their revised personal
> manuscript versions of their final articles to
> their corporate intranets if they are secure
> and do not allow public access".
>
> Companies aren't allowed to publicly
> self-archive. This means that readers cannot
> access a free version of any of these articles,
> and the companies need to buy reprints from the
> journal if they want to distribute their article.

Readers may be surprised to hear their impatient archivangelist
counselling patience and proportionateness, but that is exactly the right
stance to take here: This "restriction" is so trivial and arbitrary that
it is hardly worthy of being given a second thought. So a commercial
company's repository is not ok for self-archiving? Let the company
baptise a non-profit educational foundation, appoint the employee a
fellow, and dub the Repository the educational foundation's IR.

> "To preserve the integrity of the official record
> of publication, the final published version of an
> article as it appears (in PDF or HTML) in an
> Elsevier journal will continue to be available
> only on an Elsevier site"
>
> This is an amusing argument. Does the integrity
> of the publication record really increase by
> insisting that authors post versions that must
> differ from the 'official' published version?

No problem. The peer-reviewed draft is what's needed, not the publisher's
PDF of HTML.

> "Note such posting may not be for commercial
> purposes and may not be to any external, third-party website".
>
> Posting to PubMed Central or another central
> repository is not allowed. This reduces the
> likelihood that readers will be aware that the
> self-archived version exists.

Not at all:

(1) Deposits are just as discoverable if they are in the author's own
OAI IR or in some central repository (or several).

(2) Central repositories can harvest the IRs' metadata (if you really
think that's necessary, and enhances discoverability -- though I';;
neither is the case, once it's all in the IRs and OA!).

> Aren't these angels' wings just a bit grubby?

Not at all: It is the research community that is flat-footed and
(as history will show) egg-faced!

> p.s. "some Elsevier clinical and biomedical
> journals, including The Lancet and Cell Press journals,
> follow the guidelines of the International Committee of
> Medical Journal Editors and do not consider for
> publication papers that have already been posted publicly"
>
> This is not Elsevier's fault, but does anyone
> know whether the ICMJE guidelines really do
> prohibit pre-prints? Their guidelines say that
> "Most journals do not wish to receive papers on
> work that has already been reported in large part
> in a published article or is contained in another
> paper that has been submitted or accepted for
> publication elsewhere, in print or in electronic
> media". Many journals do not consider pre-prints
> to be 'publication'; is the prohibition by the
> Lancet and Cell Press simply an illiberal reading
> of those guidelines?

Actually, there might still be some troglodytes who imagine that the
obsolete (and never justified) "Ingelfinger Rule" rules out preprints
too. But that rule never even had the pseudo-legal justification that
the attempts to oppose self-archiving purported to have (thanks to the
superstition and credulity of the publish-or-perish-paranoid researcher
community!). The Ingelfinger Rule was always about as justifiable (and
enforceable) as a rule that would refuse publication of an article by
any author with a blue-eyed maternal uncle!

    Harnad, Stevan (2000) Ingelfinger Over-Ruled: The Role of the Web in
    the Future of Refereed Medical Journal Publishing. The Lancet 256:s16.
    http://cogprints.org/1703/index.html
    ABSTRACT: Under the editorship of Franz Ingelfinger, the New England
    Journal of Medicine adopted a policy of declining to referee or
    publish research that had been previously published or publicised
    elsewhere. Other biomedical journals, as well as broad-spectrum
    journals such as Science, have since adopted this "Ingelfinger
    rule". The four rationales underlying this rule, formulated in the
    Gutenberg era, are examined here to see which of them are still
    valid post-Gutenberg.

Stevan Harnad

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2007_07_08_fosblogarchive.html#66675142481419092