OA mandate for NIH clears another hurdle

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:46:45 +0100 (BST)

 From Peter Suber's Open Access News:
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2007_07_15_fosblogarchive.html#6464568038720704020

    A mandate for NIH clears another hurdle

    Over the weekend I and many others spread the word that the House of
    Representatives would vote Tuesday, July 17, on the appropriations
    bill establishing an OA mandate at the NIH. Here's an update.

    The bill did move to the House floor on Tuesday (yesterday). But the
    bill must be read aloud before the vote and it's a large bill,
    containing appropriations for all the agencies and programs in three
    federal departments (Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education).
    The reading started yesterday and continues today. It's proceeding
    as I write. It may end later today or it may not end until tomorrow.

    The last chance to offer an amendment on a given section is the moment
    when that section comes up in the reading. The section creating the
    OA mandate (§217) was just read a few minutes ago. The amendment
    window opened briefly and then closed. No amendments were offered.

    We've cleared a major hurdle. Publisher organizations have been
    unusually intense and well-organized in lobbying to amend or strike
    this language. They may have had some House members on their side
    but, if so, they retreated and the strong language survived intact.

    This victory reflects the groundswell of public support for OA at
    the NIH. House members definitely heard the message. For all of
    you who contacted your representative and urged others to do so,
    thank you.

    We still await the House vote, which should come later today or
    tomorrow, and then the Senate vote, which is still unscheduled.
    Then we'll need a Presidential signature.

    Peter Suber, Open Access News
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2007_07_15_fosblogarchive.html#6464568038720704020