Re: Success Rate of the First of the Self-Archiving Mandates: University of Southampton ECS

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:03:36 +0100

I think that Southampton** is quietly confident that if you can talk
up Open Access while actually achieving the metadata deposits as an
embedded institutional process, then the final stage of document
deposit will be relatively painless to achieve. If you ask them
whether they would have planned this as an OA strategy, the answer
would be "NO". But the opportunity of demonstrating the utility of a
repository for ongoing research assessment / metrics / marketing was
too good to miss, and it was decided to take "the long way around" to
the goal of OA. If we hadn't taken that decision, the repository
would have been marginalised and its institutional impact reduced.
--
Les Carr
EPrints Technical Director / University of Southampton