Success Rate of the First of the Self-Archiving Mandates: University of Southampton ECS

From: J.F.Rowland_at_lboro.ac.uk <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:48:32 +0100

The British Higher Education Funding Councils have negotiated some
rather complicated special arrangements with publishers to ensure that
their panels can get electronic access to the full texts of all the
papers that have been entered for the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise
(RAE) even if they are not normally available on OA. Thus the
individual universities don't actually *have* to supply electronic full
texts, but the panels are supposed to look at the full texts and not
just at the metadata.

It would have been much better if the Funding Councils had mandated all
universities to have an IR in place in time for this RAE, and then said
that all papers entered for the exercise must be on the university's IR
in full text. This would have been a huge fillip for the growth of IRs.

My own university has a database of metadata for all papers written by
its academics, whether entered for the RAE or not. It may not be
totally complete because the onus is on individual departments to input
their own new publications, but it's probably 80%+ complete.
Unfortunately this database is in a completely separate system (run by
the central administration) from the IR, which is moderately populated
so far, and is run by the Library.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK.