RePEc blog

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:12:07 +0000

> you may be interested in the RePEc blog we just created.
> http://blog.repec.org/

The RePEc blog is a welcome addition to the blogosphere.

The economics community is to be congratulated for its longstanding
practise of self-archiving its pre-refereeing preprints and harvesting
them into http://repec.org/.

The current RePEc blog posting is: "New Peer Review Systems"
http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/wordpress/?p=6

Experiments on improving peer review are always welcome, but what the
worldwide research community (in all disciplines, economics included)
needs most urgently today is not peer review reform, but Open Access
(OA) to its existing peer-reviewed journal literature. It's far easier
to reform access than to reform the peer-review system, and it's also
already obvious exactly what needs to be done and how, for OA -- mandate
RePEc-style self-archiving, but for the refereed postprints, not just
the unrefereed preprints -- whereas peer-review reforms are still in
the testing stage. It's not even clear whether once most unrefereed
preprints and all refereed postprints are OA there will still be any
need for radical peer review reform at all; it may simply be a matter
of more efficient online implementation.

So if I were part of the RePEc community, I would be trying to persuade
economists -- who already have the preprint self-archiving habit -- to
extend their practise to postprints (and to persuade their institutions
and funders to mandate postprint self-archiving in each author's own
Institutional Repository, from which RePEc can then harvest).

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0594.html
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Temp/peerev.pdf
http://www.eprints.org/signup/fulllist.php

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
http://amsci-forum.amsci.org/archives/American-Scientist-Open-Access-Forum.h
tml
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
    http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
    http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
    a suitable one exists.
    http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
    in your own institutional repository.
    http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
    http://archives.eprints.org/
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/