Re: OA in Europe suffers a setback

From: Talat Chaudhri [tac] <tac_at_ABER.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:20:18 -0000

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your kind remarks.

We are fortunate in that the repository came about as an experimental
project in the IT section of our converged library/IT department but was
then capitalised upon by a forward thinking IS director, and it appears
that our luck is holding with two pro VCs who so far have seemed to show
great interest in OA. This seems thus far to be giving the levers that,
as you say, some lack. I am the one managing the repository, but my
superiors in the library are supportive and allow me possibly the most
significant role in forming policy. I'm sure other models also work with
equal success. I just hope that our progress thus far will translate
into a mandate at some point.

In general you are quite right to say that the gap, in terms of both
understanding and policy agenda, between us and the senior managers
needs to be bridged. I feel that it is part of my job to make those
connections, but it may not be the same for every repository manager or
administrator, as some institutions have a much less devolved structure
than ours.

> The institutional mandate is the affirmation of the *institutional*
repository.

Well, considering that there are certain costs involved, and the success
of individual repositories varies, I can understand why some senior
managers take a cautious approach, especially as copyright risk is also
involved. Perhaps seeing it from their point of view may help us bridge
the gap.

I'd be interested to hear how other repository projects came about and
about the structure by which they are managed, to compare with our
experience. I hope this response is a useful synopsis of ours.

Thanks,

Talat